All animals, including pigeons and show birds need a well balanced microbe population in the digestive tract. The function of these microbes can be summarized as:
- Normalize the digestion process
- Antagonistic against pathogens
- Stimulates immune system (phagocytes)
- Reduces pH to prevent growth of pathogens and normalize enzyme functioning
- Tumor suppressing
- Hydrogen peroxide secretion, in presence of glycerol produces anti-microbials: Thus natures natural…….. ANTIBIOTIC!!!
Loss of these precious micro-organisms happens when:
- Treated with antibiotics!!!!
- Stress, stress, stress…..
Stress occurs during:
- caging etc.