- MEDIUM MATURING SHORT DAY HYBRID
- QUALITY, FIRM AND UNIFORM BULBS WITH A GOLDEN BROWN OUTER SCALE LEAF
- GOOD STORAGE POTENTIAL FOR A SHORT DAY ONION
- VIGOROUS ROOT SYSTEM WITH HIGH DISEASE RESISTANCE AGAINST PINK ROOT AND BASAL PLATE ROT
Akamaru is a medium maturing short day brown onion hybrid. Akamaru produces firm, uniform, slightly flattened globe shaped bulbs with a golden brown skin/scale leaf. Akamaru’s bulbs have medium sized necks and small root plates. Akamaru is slow to bolt (high bolting tolerance) and is suitable for production in the Free State, Northern Cape and certain areas of the Western Cape. Akamaru has a strong root system which contributes to a high resistance against Pink root (Phoma terrestrissyn.Pyrenochaeta terrestris)and Fusarium basal plate rot (Fusarium oxysporumf. sp. cepae). Akamaru is suitable for direct seeding as well as seedling transplants.
SPECIAL VARIETAL REQUIREMENTS
- Contact a Sakata area representative for a local onion sowing guide.